Senior Financial Accountant job in Brooklyn
About the Role
UncommonGoods is searching for a Senior Financial Accountant to not only take charge of the monthly close process, but also help lead a team transformation -- providing valuable insights to our internal and external stakeholders.
The Senior Financial Accountant will play an integral part in building a scalable infrastructure with strong internal controls. This is a full-time role reporting directly to the Assistant Controller, as well as providing support to other department leaders. This role is an exciting opportunity to enable UncommonGoods’ sustainable growth, in a company that cares deeply about how it affects individuals and its community.
UncommonGoods is a fun, fast-paced e-commerce and catalog retailer offering creatively designed, high-quality merchandise. Our team consists of friendly, hard-working, big-thinking people who have a strong entrepreneurial spirit. Located in NYC’s Sunset Park (Brooklyn), we are also a B-Corp founding member, a carefully screened network of socially responsible businesses.
- Lead all aspects of assigned areas in month-end close process
- Mentor and lead the Accounts Payable team providing insights to make work more efficient and scalable
- Oversee cash, fixed assets, payroll/benefits, prepaids, accruals and more.
- Assist in budgeting and forecasting for related expense accounts
- Maximize efficiencies and controls for areas of responsibility leading up to and during conversion to a new accounting system (July 2018 scheduled go-live!)
Skills & Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 3 years of work experience
- An undergraduate degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- Experience with a mid-size company ERP (Microsoft Dynamics, NetSuite, Intacct, etc)
- A CPA or previous experience in a high-growth and/or e-commerce environment is preferred
More importantly, (s)he will be:
- A compassionate, confident & humble leader. You adapt your style to unlock everyone’s full potential. You see each individual as a person, not a means to an end. You’re excited about leveraging your natural strengths and comfortable asking for help and acknowledging your mistakes.
- A strong critical thinker. You enjoy figuring out the best path forward and don’t stop when you hit a speed bump. You anticipate consequences and future needs, and plan accordingly.
- Passionate & Positive. You’re excited about being a part of UncommonGoods, eager to learn, ask lots of questions and execute improvements. Challenges are opportunities to showcase your skills.
- Thorough, accurate & highly organized. You don’t consider the work complete until you have all the information needed. “Do it once & do it right” is your motto! You’re able to manage multiple priorities and work with a sense of urgency without sacrificing quality.
- Robust benefits package, including generous PTO, 401(k) with company match, and paid family leave
- Stock options
- Casual work atmosphere
- 40% discount on the products we sell
- Monthly company snacks, lunches, and team events