Data Scientist job in Toronto
BlueDot is composed of an intentionally eclectic collective of scientists, mavericks, data geeks, design thinkers and do-gooders united in a singular desire to outsmart infectious disease. In today’s highly connected world the global population has become increasingly vulnerable to infectious disease and the devastating impact of an outbreak.
We generate cutting-edge data analysis, proprietary technology and actionable knowledge in the service of preventing, detecting, and mitigating a number of today’s most pressing global health issues. Drawing from a range of expertise – epidemiology, medicine, ecology, mathematical modeling, geospatial analytics, data science & engineering, design, and development – BlueDot applies human and machine-driven analytics to big data, generates insights from it, and translates these insights into digestible products and services.
Our HR strategy is very simple – encourage people who are passionate about making a difference in the world to join their unique skills and perspectives within a diverse team, where each member is working on the things they love to do. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” (Albert Schweitzer).
Together we can create a healthier and safer world.
We are looking for an exceptional data scientist who wants to put their skills to use for a worthy cause. This role offers an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of how we fight the spread of infectious disease. This is a collaborative role where you will use your expertise in statistics, predictive modelling, programming, machine learning, and distributed computing to solve big and meaningful problems.
What you will be doing:
- Working closely with Epidemiologists, Data Engineers, and other senior team members to design, build, validate, refine, and operationalize predictive models
- Providing expertise and leadership in the areas of data science, machine learning, and predictive modelling
- Selecting and applying appropriate statistical methods, computing methods, and data science techniques for predictive modelling
- Using Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to analyze and categorize a large variety of data from multiple sources
- Conducting ad-hoc analysis and presenting the results
- Assisting in the development of technical framework for data science software systems
- Evaluating, selecting, and implementing algorithms and data science software libraries
- Implementing data science software modules
- Investigating the impact of new technologies on the future of infectious disease tracking and predictive modelling
We are looking for someone who:
- Is enthusiastic about solving challenging and meaningful problems
- Is curious and is driven by a love for learning
- Has 2-3 years’ of experience with machine learning or predictive modeling
- Has a Bachelor degree in an area with a technical and computational emphasis
- Has expertise in SQL, Python, R, and Scala and is constantly exploring new open source tools
- Knows how to apply multiple software tools and languages to provide solutions
- Has experience with text analytics and deriving high-quality information from text
- Is creative when working with abstract data and loves discovering new narratives in unmined territories
- Enjoys sharing knowledge and is comfortable communicating with audiences from varied technical backgrounds
Ideally, you also have:
- Master’s Degree or PHD
- Knowledge of Apache Spark and Databricks
- Knowledge and experience in infectious disease modelling and/or population health
Schedule: Full-time, permanent.
Work Location: 209 Victoria St., Toronto, ON
For more information, visit: http://bluedot.global
Application Instructions: Please apply with your resume and a cover letter that outlines why your skills, experience and values would make you an excellent candidate for the Product Manager role at BlueDot.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*BlueDot is a Certified B Corp, which means we are certified to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.