Creamery Supervisor -Second Shift job in Websterville
Vacancy has expired
The Creamery Second Shift Supervisor will assist the Creamery Manager in the scheduling and planning of the
Fresh Cheese, Aged Cheese, and Butter operations and activities to operate the Creamery and produce product
required. This role supervises, manages and directs the selection, training, development, appraisal, and work
assignments of its manufacturing employees. This position inspects all cheese and butter products in progress
and ensures that it meets company specifications. Good judgment and common sense is required in all duties.
Normal work hours are 3pm to Midnight, Monday through Friday, with weekend work as required. This job
description provides an overview of responsibilities and task to be performed. It is not intended to be an allinclusive
job description as needs tend to change over time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty and
responsibility satisfactorily. The additional requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill,
education, experience, and/or ability required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Complies with all safety policies, procedures and established safe practices and ensures that all direct
reports do the same. Resolves all unsafe conditions and actions.
• Trains, develops, and monitors the safety practices (including PPE) of second shift employees through
regularly scheduled safety meetings, one on one development, reminders, and disciplinary action, if
necessary. Conducts safety training, emergency procedures, accident reporting and investigation.
• Ensures compliance of production staff with all policies and procedures, OSHA and BCORP guidelines on
• Maintains a clean, orderly and sanitized production area.
• Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
• Understands that maintaining quality is critical to all second shift positions within the Creamery and is the
first consideration in production. It is the responsibility of the Production Supervisor to enforce all
company rules and policies and to educate subordinates on these rules and policies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Provides leadership to second shift employees through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
• Supervises, manages, and directs the selection, training, development, appraisal, and work assignments of second shift employees.
• Prioritizes, organizes, and delegates assignments.
• Trains and develops Team Leads, Quarterbacks, and hourly personnel. This includes recognizing and
assessing the employees’ abilities to perform the job duties effectively and recommend, as well as
initiate, development programs to achieve the employees’ full personal and production potential. An
essential mission of the Production Supervisor is to develop and promote employees from within the
company when appropriate.
• Maintains consistent, fair, and equitable administration of disciplinary actions and communicates with the
Creamery Manager and Human Resources regarding all disciplinary problems with employees.
Consistently utilizes the company’s performance development process as needed to include corrective
action plans, reviews, and commendations as needed.
• Oversees the production and processing of the specified materials to meet the production requirements.
• Coordinates with Creamery Manager, and plant lead personnel on absences, vacations, etc. and properly
schedules time off. Reviews and checks hourly employee recorded time for accuracy as well as justify
the hours expended against product produced. Possesses the ability to organize and plan work for timely
completion and eliminate excessive overtime.
• Initiates and executes an organized production schedule under the approval of the Creamery Manager. Reports
deficiencies, problems, schedule changes, etc. to Creamery Manager. Maintains on-going
communication with the Creamery Manager and President regarding status of production, projects, etc.
• Ability to understand and personally evaluate the potential capacities of the equipment and make
recommendations and adjustments to achieve monthly production goals.
• Produces finished Fresh and butter product monthly as required by management/sales and production
• Maintains proper inventories of needed materials associated with the production process.
• Assures non-conformities and housekeeping issues are held to a minimum.
• Assures that all buying/procuring decisions for supplies, materials, and/or equipment are approved at the
appropriate management level. All service agreements, contracts, hold harmless agreements, etc. must be
approved and signed by the President or as assigned.
• Ability to assist in preparation of budget and costing reports to operate the Creamery in a cost-effective
• Maintains and repairs and properly trains and supervises subordinates in the maintenance and repair of
Creamery equipment. Supervises completion of repairs per manufacturer’s specifications.
• Possesses the ability to operate equipment safely and proficiently and properly trains employees to safely
achieve optimal production potential of equipment. Ensures that equipment is not operated until safety
and mechanical problems are corrected.
• Maintains and educates subordinates on all operations and equipment in compliance with all environmental
regulations and permits and understands the overall significance and ramifications of non-compliance.
• Responds immediately to any incident with potential environmental impact.
• Makes recommendations to enhance environmental responsibility.
• Must have excellent organizational and recordkeeping skills to accurately prepare the following on a timely
• Maintains tool inventory, purchase orders, accident reports, and employee absence reporting.
• Demonstrated ability of proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine
database activity, word processing, spreadsheet graphics, etc.
• Must be personable and able to assist Director of Opertions, Creamery Manager, First Shift Creamery
Supervisor, and Quality staff in communicating effectively with customers, neighbors, other vendors,
and appropriate public officials should concerns arise etc.
• Maintains a high standard of quality products and works closely with QA to ensure this happens.
• Maintains a high degree of integrity and conveys a positive public image of self and the company to the
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Food Related discipline. Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the dairy industry
required. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.Prior supevisory expereince
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Ability to obtain first aid/CPR certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to read and interpret document, in English, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in English.
Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization in English.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages,
area, circumference, and volume.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only
limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral,
diagram, or schedule form.
• Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word
processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
• Handles multiple projects simultaneously.
Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
The working environment is heated, and/or air-conditioned, indoor office setting with adequate ventilation. The
noise level in the production area is moderate.