Assistant Controller Director job in San Francisco
We are people against dirty (PAD), and we’ve always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Based in San Francisco, the Assistant Controller will provide leadership to our broader Accounting team. This person will collaborate with the Global Controller, department heads, and internal partners across our global organization (Europe, UK, Hong Kong, Australia, Chicago) to manage and deliver accurate and timely financial information. Key responsibilities include enhancing and maintaining internal controls to safeguard assets, driving ERP systems + process improvements as our business grows in complexity, reducing + delivering the monthly close and all aspects of daily accounting operations. The Assistant Controller will manage accounting operations including: General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, Cash, Payroll (excluding payroll processing), Intercompany, Chart of Accounts, Consolidation, local Financial Reporting. This position manages 2 Senior Accountants, and 3 AP Analysts.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Inspire and develop the accounting team through timely direction, coaching and performance management.
- Lead and manage complete month-end close process, ensure a timely and accurate close; prepare, review and approve JEs. Ensure that all month-end processes are documented so that they are consistent and audit proof.
- Work with accounting staff, IT and other functional groups to identify, recommend and implement automated processes in SAP and Syspro. Lead system implementation, project management, and user testing + training; be the super user of all ERP systems.
- Oversee general accounting including, Chart of Accounts, intercompany, payroll/benefits, fixed assets, cash, G&A
- Ensure that internal controls, process narratives and accounting policies are adhered to, cross-trained and broadly understood.
- Ensure tax (including sales tax, property tax, SF payroll tax, GST) filings, payments, and business registrations are current.
- Manage full AP cycles; including periodic sales/ use tax and 1099 reporting.
- Oversee daily banking operations, initiating wires, updating weekly cash flow projections, and bank covenant reporting to lenders.
- Lead financial statement audits, bank audits, and tax audits,
- Support tax return preparer with data requests for tax return preparation and filing
- Work reception once a month*
*we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
- 10 years accounting experience, manufacturing or consumer product company preferred
- Prior experience as an Accounting Manager or Assistant Controller in a company with annual revenues of $200M+
- Demonstrated experience leading, and coaching people
- Experience as a member of a team or a leader implementing internal control and process improvements
- Experience working in an integrated ERP system within a manufacturing company; SAP experience preferred
- Professional and open communication skills; ability to clearly explain accounting concepts to non-accounting people in our business
- Exhibit a strong bias for action
- Demonstrated ability to work and lead cross-functionally
- Stamina, character, sense of humor and work ethic appropriate for a fast-paced, highly team-oriented company
- Must be very good at “the basics”, but also willing to speak up and lead change while the company continues to grow
- Expert skills in Excel
- BA in accounting, CPA strongly preferred
PAD PERKS: Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the ways we Care like a Mother for every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: full time, exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: Global Controller