Public Relations Manager - Columbia, MD job in Columbia
The PR Manager for External Relations for Walden University will be a member of the External Relations and Public Policy (ER&PP) group within the Laureate Online division (Laureate Online). The ER&PP group is responsible for creating communication strategies with reputational impact in mind.
The PR Manager for Walden University will:
Generate opportunities for PR and media outreach for Walden University initiatives in domestic and international markets
Understand issues/crisis and develop and execute on targeted strategy, messaging and talking points for external and internal audiences with speed and focus
Develop and produce a wide range of communication materials for internal and external audiences
Work closely with the marketing, product and other cross-functional teams to provide strategic, consultative support for their efforts to promote programs and initiatives
Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media
Create content through story compilation for PR, marketing, lead generation, social media, communications, etc.
The PR Manager will have 7-10 years of relevant PR agency, corporate or institutional experience with strong writing capabilities and excellent verbal communication skills. Candidates must demonstrate successful strategic public relations, communications and media relations capabilities. Candidate will also have experience with social media including writing and promoting blogs, and creating posts for Facebook, Twitter, etc. Candidates will hold at least a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related relevant degree.
PR Manager will assist the Executive Director with proactive and reactive public relations and communications efforts. The PR Manager will:
Work collaboratively with leadership and the Executive Director to represent the university and its position to external audiences
Develop, integrate and implement a range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and position of the university and its leadership
Direct and collaborate with PR agency to ensure activities are aligned with strategic focus
Identify and execute strategic thought leadership opportunities supporting the mission and vision for the university
Lead and support issues/crisis communications both proactively and reactively to manage reputational impact
Draft press materials including press releases/advisories, media relations pitches, media backgrounders and contributed articles
Help lead proactive media outreach efforts to traditional and nontraditional media outlets
Respond to media inquiries and general inquiries from the public as necessary
Support social media efforts including drafting blog posts, sharing posts and PR materials with social media channels, identify blogs and other social media opportunities for PR
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 7-10 year’s experience in public and media relations required; international public and media relations experience a plus
- Experience with advising senior executives on crisis communications and reputation management
- Outstanding writing and editing experience required
- Experience working with internet media, social networking, and viral media outlets
- Possess strong abilities in the areas of developing and executing communications programs and tactics
- Strong presentation and meeting facilitation skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- A good listener, collaborator, and influencer
- High level of enthusiasm, functions well in a team-driven and highly dynamic environment
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related relevant degree.