Real Estate Attorney job
Are you an experienced transactional attorney and expert negotiator with a background in real estate leasing? Looking to join a dynamic, high-energy team operating at a fast pace—but with sustainable growth top of mind? If so, we may have just the gig for you. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Real Estate Leasing Attorney will work with a cross-functional team of business partners to manage leasing activity for the company’s growing portfolio of stores and corporate locations. If that sounds like your cup of tea (or coffee or yerba mate), keep reading.
What you’ll do:
- Prepare, review, draft and negotiate all retail, office, lab, and warehouse lease agreements
- Monitor the lease execution process and actively participate in resolving real estate-related legal and business issues
- Contribute to overall sales objectives by enhancing and facilitating the real estate legal process (as it relates to the opening of new stores and satisfying lease requirements in a manner consistent with our corporate plan)
- Work with and manage outside counsel as appropriate, and within budgetary guidelines, to assist in the consummation of real estate negotiations
- Review estoppel certificates, plus subordination and non-disturbance agreements
- Work with other corporate departments to answer questions regarding existing leases and resolve lease-related disputes
- Review construction-related lease language for construction projects, ensuring that each lease contains the required Warby Parker-protective construction and tenant allowance language
- Maintain current status on all open matters, working hand in hand with support staff to efficiently process leases and related documents
- Provide support for various special projects assigned to the Real Estate Development department from time to time, such as due diligence projects and the abstraction of various lease provisions
- Stay abreast of current developments in commercial real estate law and assist in revising company policies, practices, and forms as you see fit
Who you are:
- A highly organized and focused power negotiator who’s experienced with complex real estate lease negotiations.
- Equipped with at least 5 years of retail leasing experience, either at a law firm or in-house at a corporation
- Highly computer literate, proficient in standard business software (like Microsoft Office and/or Google Drive) and capable of learning new programs
- The proud owner of a Juris Doctorate
Warby Parker was founded in 2010 with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels and designing our frames in house, we’re able to offer insanely high-quality eyewear at decidedly non-insane prices (i.e., from $95 with prescription lenses—a fraction of the going price!).
In the last eight years, we’ve grown to over 60 retail locations in the U.S. and Canada, opened our first optical lab in upstate New York, and launched two of our own iOS apps. And for three years running, Fast Company has named us one of the world’s most innovative companies.
We also hold ourselves to the highest standards of social and environmental responsibility. This means lots of different things, like operating carbon-neutrally and distributing a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair we sell. (We’re big believers that businesses can scale and be profitable while doing good in the world.)
Of course, all work and no play makes an extremely dull office, and no one likes an extremely dull office. (We sure don’t.) As an employee at Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and other brain- (and/or taste-bud-) stimulating activities. It also doesn’t hurt that our team is just great company.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear (plus discounts for friends and family)
- And more (just ask!)