Materials Innovation Engineer job in Ventura
Job Title: Materials Innovation Engineer
Reports To: Manager of Materials Innovation
Location: Ventura, CA
Through research and partnership in materials science, fiber technology, textile engineering, and chemistry, the Materials Innovation team is charged with improving technical performance and reducing environmental impact of Patagonia products. As part of this team, the Materials Innovation Engineer is responsible for the extensive research, identification, acquisition, and development of novel and sustainable chemistry and textile technologies for use in Patagonia’s product lines. They must use academic and industry knowledge, supplier networks, publications, and research to develop applicable technologies that benefit Patagonia’s product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, and intellectual property. The Materials Innovation Engineer must understand the competitive strategy and position of each product line to guide innovative materials solutions into each of Patagonia’s product categories. This position is equal parts scientific researcher, consultant, and project manager pertaining to advanced innovation concepts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Working within the Materials Innovation Team through collaboration and iterative technology development to create relevant, innovative chemistry, textile and process solutions.
- Maintain contact and collaboration with internal stakeholders (Materials R&D, Designers, Business Unit Directors, Product Developers, Quality, Production, Social and Environmental Responsibility) to ensure innovation research has supply chain relevance and feasibility.
- Develop and manage relationships with external innovation partners and stakeholders (Technology Partners and Vendors).
- Strategize and manage projects within external relationships to drive milestone execution.
- Work to develop and commercialize a variety of new chemicals, formulations, and chemical products within product categories.
- Understand and implement forms of relevant legal documents/agreements (NDA, JDA, exclusivity).
- Maintain contact with Patagonia athletes to get feedback on field needs and product performance.
- Attend key trade shows and conferences to build a broad range of knowledge and network.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Textile Chemistry, Polymer Science or Materials Science. Advanced degrees preferred.
- 5+ years in chemistry development or polymer science industry.
- Experience in outdoor and/or sports equipment development.
- Experience working with textiles, apparel, softgoods and hardgoods a plus.
- Extreme attention to detail required and a proven ability to establish and maintain schedules and deadlines.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and Web PDM.
- Strong collaborative tendencies and team development skills.
- Ability to gather appropriate input and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.