Analytics & Insights Manager job in New York City
Kickstarter is looking for an experienced Analytics & Insights Manager to build and manage our growing team of analysts and data scientists, leading our analysis and product insights efforts.
On a daily basis, you'll work with your team to monitor platform usage, investigate trends, and collaborate with colleagues across Kickstarter to ask the right questions about our products. Throughout this, you will ensure Kickstarter’s high standards of excellence through rigorous skepticism, creative problem solving, and experimentation. Long term, you’ll help Kickstarter utilize data for product development, research and analysis, and hypothesis testing. The team (and company) is small and your work will be relatively hands-on: ideally you have experience doing primary research or shipping production code.
About the Team
Kickstarter's Insights team is a collaborative group of people who are passionate about using data and research to help bring creative projects to life. Our team’s mission is to provide the organization with robust information, analyses and insight to inform and assess Kickstarter’s strategic objectives. Our team’s objectives include:
- Democratizing data access across the organization and providing tools and training to support data-informed decisions;
- Acquiring and synthesizing all relevant information about our ecosystem, our competitors, the creative landscape, and our users, to provide high quality strategic advice to decision makers at all levels of the organization;
- Raising the quality of data in our system, including improving our data infrastructure and modeling, and utilizing a variety of research methodologies to understand our users and their experiences.
To achieve this we will seek to use the most up to date data, analytical techniques, and appropriate technologies. We collaborate with teams across the organization to provide colleagues with reliable and actionable information through research, reporting, dashboards, and analytics. We value peer feedback, continuous learning, and blameless post-mortems. We prefer proven technology and have built most of our data infrastructure on AWS, but we also care about finding the right tools for the job, so we invest in cutting-edge technology when it's a good fit.
About the Role
Your job will be to build and lead an internal insights practice, focused on analyzing data and helping teams across the organization build an in depth knowledge of trends and performance in the Kickstarter ecosystem. This will include using data to understand product usage, cultural & community insights, and market research across Kickstarter, Drip & The Creative Independent.
Additionally, you’ll develop hypotheses and carry out tests to prove (or disprove!) them in conjunction with product managers, designers, and engineers. This primarily means constructing, deploying, and analyzing A/B tests, but could also include surveys, competitive intelligence, and other forms of research.
Long term, you’ll cultivate a nuanced understanding of the Kickstarter product and lead open-ended research to discover the most impactful features for our product teams to build. Your insights and wisdom will be essential to how Kickstarter evolves, and your expertise will guide us as we learn new things every step of the way.
Your background should include experience using your data analysis skills day to day as well as a healthy understanding of the product development lifecycle. Ideally you’re adept at using statistics to separate signal from noise, but you're also completely at ease communicating the story behind the data.
You have a deep experience with product analytics, data, research and a strong ability to turn rough question sand raw numbers into actionable insights.
- You have led a team of analysts, researchers, data scientists or similar.
- You have a proven track record of data-driven product research and development.
- You have demonstrable experience with SQL, statistics, and BI tools (we use Looker).
- You have excellent scientific reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- You have experience running large A/B tests and other web-scale experiments.
- You are familiar with market research, user testing, and competitive intelligence best-practices.
- You have a deep interest and passion for Kickstarter’s mission to help people bring their creative projects to life, and the product opportunities and challenges that come along with it.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.