Store Manager job in Half Moon Bay, CA
Position Title: Store Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises Assistant Store Managers; collaborates with store management team to supervise Department Managers and all store staff.
Reports To: Operations Director
Region: California Coastal
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Position Description: Leads store operations and all store staff, including financial stewardship, customer service, department conditions, merchandising, food safety, work safety, communication, hiring, training and performance management. Ensures the store provides an exceptional customer shopping experience, with the highest level of service and product knowledge. Provides leadership in line with company values and promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Leaf Community Markets.
- Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Communication style is confident, informative and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure. Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge to create competitive advantage. Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others, including Assistant Store Managers and Department Managers. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Leaf Community Markets Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NLCM document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Oversees Assistant Store Managers and all department operations. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of all departments, including labor allocation, job responsibilities, inventory management, merchandising, product knowledge and financial goals.
- Understands and utilizes reports and data to aid in making sound business decisions. To include, but not limited to data and reports on financials, inventory, HRIS, SMG, out-of-stocks, price file audits, food and work safety performance.
- Ensures effective communication systems are established and maintained.
- Oversees effective scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget.
- Holds Assistant Store Managers and all direct reports accountable for following policies and procedures.
- Promptly addresses and seeks resolution to operational issues.
- Ensures that all store committees, including food and work safety, conduct effective, regular meetings and have adequate department representation.
- Balances administrative tasks with presence on the floor.
- Supervises and mentors Assistant Store Managers. Communicates expectations and holds accountable for meeting standards through ongoing feedback, training and coaching. Works with Assistant Store Managers to evaluate and develop job knowledge and skills, including labor allocation, job responsibilities, inventory management, merchandising, product knowledge and financial goals. Evaluates and develops leadership skills. Provides varied opportunities to maximize learning.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside staff. Demonstrates approachability and fosters open communication throughout store. Creates an environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute ideas.
- Uses conflict as a means for positive learning. Demonstrates and encourages a pro-active approach in the resolution of staff issues and conflicts.
- Evaluates and determines course of action with regard to staff performance. Prepares and delivers corrective actions in a timely manner. Follows appropriate documentation guidelines and consults with Staff Resource Manager as needed. Trains and provides guidance to Assistant Store Managers and department management teams to do the same.
- Prepares and delivers performance reviews to Assistant Store Managers and other direct reports. Ensures that reviews are delivered in a timely manner and adhere to company wage guidelines. Trains and coaches Assistant Store Managers to prepare and deliver effective performance reviews.
- Plans for and participates in department, store and company meetings.
- Assists store and department management teams with interviewing and hiring qualified candidates.
Customer Service and Merchandising
- Ensures an exceptional level of customer service throughout the store. Models friendly and attentive customer service, coaches staff, recognizes accomplishments and identifies areas of opportunity. Seeks customer feedback and uses it to improve the customer shopping experience.
- Maintains excellent store conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, product availability, accurate signage and staffing and service levels.
- Handles escalated difficult customer service situations and seeks solutions. Trains and coaches staff to do the same.
- Collaborates with Assistant Store Managers, Department Managers and merchandising teams to develop and execute plans. Holds Department Managers accountable for meeting merchandising standards. Uses merchandising guidelines and sampling programs to promote peak seasonal/ad item/holiday products and create an optimal customer shopping experience.
- Performs regular store walkthroughs to maintain merchandising, maintenance and cleanliness standards. Coaches Department Managers and holds them accountable to do the same.
- Keeps current with trends in the industry.
- Meets sales, labor, margin, expense and contribution goals. Develops, directs and executes plans when store or department results do not meet expectations.
- Demonstrates high-level understanding of labor, sales and margin goals and factors that influence them. Trains and coaches Assistant Store Managers and Department Managers to develop and apply financial knowledge.
- Ensures that Department Managers adhere to company invoice, credit, and transfers procedure. Coaches managers to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock. Plans for and participates in inventories. Ensures that Department Managers follow inventory procedures and meet deadlines from accounting department.
- Maintains high standards for ordering, receiving, rotation, product handling and production practices in order to minimize waste. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certification and alcohol server permit
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Holds managers accountable for upholding the highest level of work safety. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of store equipment. Follows through with service and maintenance needs.
- Promotes the highest level of store cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets food safety policies and guidelines. Holds Department Managers accountable for establishing and ensuring the highest level of food safety. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and MSDS. Ensures that the Operations team is trained on safety procedures.
Tools & Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: POS, conveyor belt, scales, slicers, box knife, baler, scanner, lift/heister, forklift, stacker, pallet jack, bottle machine, ladder, cart, hand truck, temp gun, power washer, vacuum, floor cleaning machine, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- 5+ years of retail management experience required, with a staff of 40 or more. Experience in a high-volume environment required.
- Previous grocery management experience required.
- Previous responsibility for managing store operations required, including inventory, labor and P & L.
- Intermediate to advanced math and computation skills required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required, including Excel. Experience with inventory and scheduling software preferred.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor and profit margin.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and manage multiple priorities.
- Skills to engage and work with a diverse workforce.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion around sensitive information.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 1-20 pounds; lift 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: carry 21-50 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; crouch/squat; kneel
- Seldom required to: crawl
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.