Freight Lead job in Portland, OR
Position Title: Freight Lead
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Grocery Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Coordinates Grocery freight operations. Stocks, rotates, and faces grocery products. Serves as overnight PIC in the absence of Freight PIC. Contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Engages internal and external customers in a friendly manner, shares information, assists in locating resources, and seeks opportunities to enhance the customer experience.
Position Specific Functions
- Prepares Grocery department for store opening.
- Guides the work of freight staff, including planning and assigning work, ensuring quality standards, training staff and overseeing their productivity.
- Serves as overnight PIC in the absence of Freight PIC.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Builds displays and arranges department products to make attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal items.
- Separates customer and department special orders and places in appropriate backstock area.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
- Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising standards.
- Understands and complies with specific shift guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- May participate in inventories and ordering.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events.
- Demonstrates familiarity of Grocery department products and their locations in the store.
- Notifies department manager or Manager On Duty of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, lift/heister, pallet jack, ladder, cart, hand truck, price gun, temp gun, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- Previous freight, warehouse, or retail experience in a high-volume environment required. Previous grocery experience preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Previous ordering/inventory management experience preferred.
- Basic math and computation skills required.
- Basic computer proficiency required.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Previous experience in a self-directed role preferred.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; kneel; climb step stools
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work Environment
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.